Thursday, February 19, 2015

Mailer Prospect Report

I spent a lot of time complaining about the collation in 2014 Topps.  Too much time.  I had hopes that this year things would be different.

I was wrong.

I bought a rack pack of 2015 base a couple of days ago.  Before I opened the pack, I had roughly 1/3 of the set.  I got more dupes than new cards.  That ain't right.  <sigh>

In other news.....

Are there any cards better than unexpected cards?  I got an envelope from P-town Tom with cards from the 2013 Panini Prizm Perennial Draft Picks set in it (I had to look it up).  Let's see what draft picks I got.



Alex Yarbrough was drafted by the Angels in 2012.  He made it to AA last year.  His batting line looks roughly similar to Howie Kendrick's.  The Sporting News has him ranked as the Angels' 7th ranked prospect heading into this season.  Maybe he'll be the Halo second sacker in 2016.





Kaleb Cowart was the Angels' first round pick in 2010.  He's been stuck in AA the last 2 seasons hitting in the .220s.  TSN has him ranked 9th for the Angels.



Zach Borenstein was drafted by the Angels in 2011.  He got his first taste of  AA and AAA last year.  Then was traded to the Diamondbacks in July in the deal for Joe Thatcher.  Then spent more time at both AA and AAA.  He didn't make TSN's list for the Diamondbacks, but he probably would have for the Angels who have literally the worst farm system in baseball.

These are the type of cards I could never get for myself.  Which is why the blogosphere is so great.  And there was one other card in the package.

Mike Trout was drafted by the Angels in 2009.  He made it to the majors at the end of 2011.  He hasn't really done much since then.  One thing he has done though... be the best player in baseball in each of the three years.


Thanks Tom.

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome!

    And you're right... that Trout guy hasn't done much. I'm not sure I've even heard of him. Maybe the Halos would trade him to my Cubs for Edwin Jackson? #whenpigsfly

    ReplyDelete