Saturday, February 21, 2015

To∙ny Gw∙nn

I wanted to do a quick post today.  I bought a hanger box of 2015 today.  And this was easily the highlight for me.

I've always been a big Tony Gwynn fan.  He was never an Angel obviously, but I pulled his rookie card out of packs of Donruss and Fleer.  So I bought the Topps version almost 30 years ago, and I've had a Gwynn PC ever since. This is a good looking card.  I'm not sure what the concept is behind archetypes, but whatever.  I'm guessing the image has been used a number of times, because it looks very familiar.  But it captures a young Gwynn pretty well. 

Another I like about the card is on the back.

Topps referenced Gwynn's famous "5.5 hole".  Perfect.

But notice the top left corner of the back.  The hanger box was full of dinged corners.  Nice QC there Topps.  While I'm complaining, I got 64 base cards and 36 of them were dupes.  I've got barely half the set, and I'm already at the point of diminishing returns.  I have nice stack of dupes though, so if anybody needs something specific...

2 comments:

  1. "the original pattern or model of which all things of the same type are representations or copies" Tony Gwynn is the archetypical hitter. Hard to argue with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt, that is a great card. Reminds me of a mid-90s Stadium Club insert, sort of. Bummer about the dinged corners.

    ReplyDelete